Following an open records request, The Kiowa County Sheriff’s Department released the dispatch record from last Sunday’s carbon monoxide leak at the Night Watchman Best Western hotel. The report details response time of county emergency responders.
The initial 911 call from Best Western desk clerk Debbie White came into the sheriff’s station at 3:09 p.m. but was unanswered according to the report.
Dispatcher Toshia Hoover was “in the restroom” when the first call came in, but was able to answer a second call on an “administration” line at 3:09 p.m.
A third call came in through 911 while Hoover was on the administration line speaking with White, but Hoover was not able to answer it before the caller “abandoned” it.
White reported that “a couple dozen” children in the pool area were having “difficulty breathing” and had dilated eyes.
Hoover paged sheriff’s officers and county Emergency Medical Services (EMS) at 3:10 p.m. and paged the Greensburg Fire Department at 3:11 on a request from county EMS.
An advisement that all of the children had been removed from the pool area, that all of the children were conscious was reported to all of the responding units that came in soon after.
According to the report a sheriff’s officer was on location at 3:13 p.m. and reported that some of the parents had begun transporting children to the Kiowa County Memorial Hospital (KCMH), which is less than a quarter mile away.
EMS and county fire both reported to the site at 3:14, with an ambulance arriving at KCMH at 3:19 p.m.
A county fire official was reported to have left KCMH at 6:27 p.m.
This first appeared in the Dec. 19, 2012 print edition of The Kiowa County Signal.