During an hour-long meeting Monday night, the USD 422 Board of Education covered many items.
A list of supplemental duties for junior high and high school teachers for the 2016-17 year showed a new high school football coach has been hired – Tye Remy, who will also serve as assistant boys’ basketball coach for the junior high.
In other business:
• The board voted 4-2 to move the 21st Century Learning Academy, the district’s e learning virtual school from a building in Mullinville to the Greensburg campus.
Board president Ki Gamble wrote, “Whereas our budget is shrinking and whereas we have reduced administration by one (Superintendent Darin Headrick, who is stepping down) it is important to have all administrators at Greensburg at all times in addition to the money we can save by relocating. Therefore be it resolved by the Board of USD 422 to relocate the virtual school to the Greensburg campus.”
Board members J. Wynn Fleener and Paul Kendall voted against the measure. Board member Sue Greenleaf was not at the meeting.
• The board voted 6-0 to pay 2016-17 membership dues to Kansas Association of School Boards (KASB), KASB Legal, Schools for Quality Education (SQE) and Schools for Fair Funding (SFF).
• Approved continuing with local company People’s Insurance and EMC for property, vehicle and liability insurance.
• Approved giving a raise of 25 cents to classified personnel with two employees receiving 50 cent raises.
• Approved elementary/junior high principal and Kathy Headrick, who is leaving her role as elementary/junior high counselor to attend the National School of Character Awards conference in Washington, D.C. in October a the discounted rate of $1,300 each. Headrick, who has taken a job with Derby schools, will use some days off to attend the conference.
• Approved pre-paying the annual fee out of Fiscal Year 2015-16 funds for two years to the Kiowa County Media Center and Twilight Theatre and one year to the 5.4.7 Arts Center.
• Discussed raising the school meal fees by a dime, an item added to the agenda for voting at the next meeting.
• Approved holding the next meeting, its last meeting of the 2015-16 year at 8 p.m. June 29 to accommodate Darin Headrick, who will be speaking in Kansas City on June 28.