Center for Personnel Claims Support

FORT KNOX, Ky. — The Army has created a new office at Fort Knox to process soldiers’ claims for personal property losses incident to government service — the Center for Personnel Claims Support.

These claims are known as personnel claims, and include claims for loss or damage to household goods and privately owned vehicles during shipment or while stored at government expense. Personnel claims also include loss or damage to soldiers’ personal property in government quarters or other authorized locations caused by events such as storms, floods or power outages. Army civilian employees also are eligible to file personnel claims under certain circumstances.

The new CPCS will be fully operational July 5 and will process all claims of soldiers and employees in the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. Soldiers filing claims overseas will file their claims online as outlined below, but instead of contacting the CPCS, they will contact their local legal office for assistance in processing their claims.

How does this affect CONUS soldiers, family members, and employees filing claims? In the case of household goods damaged or lost during a permanent change-of-station move, Department of Defense personnel still must file their claims directly with their transportation service provider under the Full Replacement Value program.

The pink form — DD Form 1840/1840R, entitled “Joint Statement of Loss or Damage at Delivery/Notice of Loss and/or Damage” — will continue to be submitted within 75 days from the date of delivery directly to a transportation service provider. Remember that submitting the Notice of Loss or Damage form does not mean that a claim has been filed. To get full replacement value for their loss, soldiers and employees must file a complete claim with the transportation service provider that includes detailed information on damaged items, such as the original purchase price, repair estimates and replacement costs, within nine months from the date of delivery. This mandatory part of the claims process will not change after the CPCS stands up.

But after July 5, if the TSP does not act on the claim or is unable to reach a reasonable settlement with the claimant, the soldier or employee will no longer file the unsettled claim with their local Staff Judge Advocate or legal office. Under the new process, soldiers and employees will file those claims online, and electronically submit required documents, to the CPCS using an upgraded program called “PCLAIMS Plus.” As personnel complete their claims online, they can obtain customer service support over the web or directly from CPCS personnel by phone or e-mail. Not only will the online filing system accelerate claims processing, but it will allow for quicker payment. Access to the online claims portal requires a Common Access Card or other means of authentication for recently retired or separated personnel. Those without a CAC should call the CPCS for help in submitting their claim.

Go to to find more information on how to file a claim (including a trifold on the ABCs of Claims), call the center at (502) 626-3000 or DSN 536-3000 with questions, or contact CPCS by e-mail at For any claims filed before July 5 or for general information, contact an installation SJA or legal office.