One person was critically injured when a gas leak caused an explosion at a residential home in Ford a day after gas and water utilities were turned on at the house.
Annette Means was in the house by herself when the explosion happened Thursday morning at 1011 Main. She had lived with electricity in the house for five months, but just recently had the other utilities turned on.
Ford County Fire Department Chief Jay Taylor said Means was originally taken to Dodge City, then flown to Wichita. Taylor said the fire department did an investigation and determined it was the gas leak. Five FCFD units from Ford, Bucklin and Dodge City were called to the explosion.

Means' son, Orvin Flyinghorse, said she was airlifted her to Wichita's Via Christi-St. Francis Hospital with burns over 70 percent of her body.
"I'm not trying to post blame, but why were things not tested when they were first turned on," Flyinghorse said. "She goes to Compass, so she barely gets by on disability and they helped her out in getting her gas and her water turned on. She struggles to get by. She's a fighter so I know she'll get through it if there's a chance."